Monday, September 21, 2009

Color Me Butterfly: Domestic Violence

While I was abhorred by Issac and how he took out his all of his anger and frustrations on Eloise, it's really Mattie who holds my attention. I spent the better part of my childhood growing up in a home with domestic violence. Although it was never to the extreme that Isaac takes it to in Color Me Butterfly, I know it's a cycle. Mattie desperately wanted to escape from her father's clutches, she unknowingly sought out a man who had an abusive-type personality. From my perspective growing up around domestic violence, one has to be careful. You have to tell yourself, "I deserve better. I am better than that. I will not let myself be a part of this cycle." If a woman falls into the pattern of thinking that an abusive relationship is all that she deserves or will be able to obtain, that's exactly what will find her. Abusive personalities have their ways of identifying potential victims. So, my request is:

Ladies, put the thought out there for relationships (romantic and platonic) that you deserve only the good in life. And that's what's gonna come to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment